This guide explains how those responsible for scoping Cloud Identity and Access Management solutions should approach choosing a provider partner. You’ll learn the pitfalls of purchasing IAM tools from a vendor and the benefits of using a Managed Service Provider.
To help you narrow down a shortlist, use our due diligence checklist to help you choose between Identity and Access Management companies.
- Why Use a Service Provider Instead of a Vendor?
- Why Undertake Due Diligence on Identity and Access Management Companies?
- How To Choose Identity and Access Management Companies
Why Use a Service Provider Instead of a Vendor?
Have you been looking into Identity and Access Management tools – perhaps some of these top-rated solutions? If so, you may consider purchasing the software directly from the vendor. After all, most services tout excellent usability, ease of integration and generally straightforward management.
However, IT leaders may use a Managed Service Provider (MSP) to specify, implement and manage Identity and Access Management solutions. Not least that IT leaders are busy folks, and one more solution to manage is not practical! Other reasons to consider using an MSP instead of an IAM vendor are:
- Expertise: MSPs work across IT infrastructure and can advise how best to maximise Cloud Identity and Access Management tools. They can help in areas such as integration, compliance, training and ongoing IAM management as your business needs evolve.
- Cost savings: Using an MSP often means bypassing license purchases. Because they’ve invested in Cloud IAM software and skills, you benefit from their economies of scale. As a result, you access best-in-class solutions for a lower cost than going direct.
- Risk reduction: It’s an MSPs sole job to ensure that your Identity and Access Management tools are appropriate. If you and your team juggle several tasks, there’s a higher chance of oversight or error.
- Core business focus: As crucial as Identity and Access Management solutions are, they’re still one part of the bigger picture. Outsourcing IAM management to Identity and Access Management companies frees up internal research and mental bandwidth to use as you wish.
Therefore, it makes sense for IT leaders to outsource the risk and workload of Cloud Identity and Access Management solutions.
Why Undertake Due Diligence on Identity and Access Management Companies?
It would help if you undertook due diligence when looking for a company to provide your Identity and Access Management solutions. Cloud Identity and Access Management is crucial in securing your organisation’s network, data and applications. It also integrates at every layer and access point in your security infrastructure.
Your Identity and Access Management solutions provider is responsible for implementing and managing access control policies, user authentication, and authorisation protocols. Also, when IAM tools are implemented, the changes to your IT infrastructure and user access are immediate. Therefore, if you’re unhappy with the results, you may spend money on corrections.
Therefore, you must avoid contracting with the wrong Cloud Identity and Access Management company. You’ll be shielded against several risks by conducting robust due diligence. These include:
- Security breaches caused by inadequate Cloud Identity and Access Management solutions
- Compliance violations as a result of IAM solutions not being configured to specific industry standards
- Reputational damage stemming from any incident where shoddy IAM was involved
- Operational efficiencies caused by imbalanced IAM solutions. Cloud Identity and Access Management should always balance risk, usability and productivity
How To Choose Identity and Access Management Companies
Carefully evaluating Identity and Access Management companies and providers will determine if your security needs and business goals are met. It would help if you considered many factors, including experience, compliance credentials, customer feedback, specific tools available and much more. To confirm that your dealing with a credible Cloud Identity and Access Management solutions provider, look for these green flags:
- Experience and expertise: IAM is a specialist area, so check that an MSP has experience implementing projects of similar scope. Because IAM affects every layer of security infrastructure, confirm that your potential provider has end-to-end security capabilities.
- Technology and tools: Evaluate technology and tools, including the ability to integrate with your existing security infrastructure. In an ideal world, your chosen provider will be solution agnostic and treat every brief with a fresh pair of eyes. Your chosen MSP should offer these leading Cloud IAM services.
- Infrastructure integration: Every organisation has vital applications, systems or data that must be interoperable with new solutions. The same goes for Cloud IAM. Inform potential vendors of your technology and confirm they can integrate Identity and Access Management solutions.
- Supporting services: If you need to enhance Identity and Access Management solutions, save time finding a new provider. Seek out a company with complete, related services such as SIEM, EDR, NDR and even a Security Operations Centre.
- Day-to-day service: What’s it like to work with your potential provider daily? Size up their response times (SLAs) and commitment to investigating threats. Also, ask for demonstrations of your IAM tools, self-service dashboards or customer portals.
- Risk management: Ask for evidence of compliance with standards such as ISO27001 and SOC2. Also, enquire about your potential provider’s incident response policies and procedures.
- Customer feedback: A great vendor will put you in touch with customers who use a similar solution. You’ll also find feedback, case studies and business values on their website.
- Total cost of ownership: If you’ve shortlisted Identity and Access Management companies, your decision may boil down to cost. Upfront costs can occasionally be misleading. So, ask for a projected breakdown of the total cost of ownership over your contract’s lifetime.
Do You Need Cloud Identity and Access Management?
Sentis Managed Solutions provides Cloud Identity and Access Management solutions, including consultation, specification, selection, and implementation. Of course, it’s always best to confirm your needs before committing, so why not book a free security audit with Sentis?